Heart of Japanese Cinema blogathon looks not only into Japanese Cinema as a whole, but to into its soul. The rule is simple, make something: a review, a list of your best Japanese films, best Anime you've watched for the past month, or a critical memoir of a director and relate it the question: how close is this to the Japanese soul?
Since this is a blogathon, just like a marathon, you have to post as many posts as you want from today, April 10 to Saturday, April 16. It can one post a day, or more as long as you have the stamina and endurance, go for it. Remember, stick with the topic. Do not forget to add this link (Japan 2011 Crisis Response) to every post you make to help aid relief.
You can add your contribution by making a comment on this post or you can email me: email@example.com or try my other contact details here.
Here are the final list of participants.
1. Auditoire (http://adrianmendizabal.blogspot.com/)
2. Next Projection (http://nextprojection.com/)
3. Kaws Kamote (http://kawtskamote.blogspot.com/)
4. Pixelated Popcorn (http://pixelatedpopcorn.blogspot.com/)
5. The Reel Bits (http://www.thereelbits.com)
6. Point and Counterpoint (http://www.titopao.com/)
7. Whatever Carl, Whatever (http://whatevercarl.tumblr.com/)
8. Me Likes Art (http://melikesart.blogspot.com/)
9. Lessons From the School of Inattention (http://oggsmoggs.blogspot.com/)
10. Brainstorm from the Shower (http://etchieblog.wordpress.com/)
11. Below the Dotted Line (http://belowthedottedline.blogspot.com/)
12. Lilok Pelikula (http://lilokpelikula.wordpress.com/)
13. By Kubrick's Beard (http://bykubricksbeard.blogspot.com/)
14. Light Within Light (http://light-within-light.blogspot.com/)
15. Kasabawan, Kaalaman atbp. (http://therevellious.wordpress.com/)
16. Critic After Dark (http://criticafterdark.blogspot.com/)
17. Pinoy Film Zealot (http://pinoyfilmzealot.wordpress.com/)
Let the blogathon begin!
INDEX OF POSTSWe'll start with Next Projection's beautiful review on Hokusai (1954)
Another old written piece by Sir Noel Vera on Kenji Mizoguchi's Sansho the Bailiff (1954)
Day 2For today, we have Ibetolis' wonderful write up on Akira Kurosawa's Stray Dogs (1949)
Epoy Deyto: experience on Shuji Terayama's cinema and on his Emperor Tomato Ketchup (1970)
And we also have Adrian Mendizabal's screenshots of Kenji Mizoguchi's masterpiece, Ugetsu Monogatari (1953)
review of Departure (2008), an Academy Award winning Japanese film.
Also Oggs Cruz slated his review on the controversial documentary film, Children of Hiroshima (1952)
Interestingly, Etchie Pingol made a write up on Sora Aoi, a Japanese nude model and adult video (AV) actress, and the mainstream adult video cinema of Japan. Etchie entitled it The Sky is Blue: Sora Aoi and Japanese Mainstream Soft-Core
Meanwhile, Fidan Medel of Pixelated Popcorn picks his favourites from Hayao Miyazaki's filmography.Afterthoughts on Japanese Horror
Oggs Cruz offers another cool review with Takashi Miike's Bodyguard Kiba (1993)
A rare Isao Takahata is reviewed by film critic Noel Vera entitled Little Norse Prince (1968). Sir Noel also reviewed two other great Studio Ghibli materpieces, Grave of the Fireflied (1988) and Whispers of the Heart (1995).
Bushido Outlaws?: The Yakuza in Contemporary Cinema
Sir Noel's take on Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Pulse (2001)
You can use the posters and banners below to promote the blogathon. Share this with your friends and fellow bloggers and let them know about Japenese Cinema.
Posters and Banners: